Sunday, December 4, 2011

Gardening in red



So here is where it all has to begin. I have to retain this low wall of nasty, rocky, red dirt. I also have to figure how to get the water to stop pooling here against the house. This is slowing me down. The figuring that is.

Initially I was very much in a do-it-yourself frame of mind.

....Until I saw my neighbour, two doors down, spend all day standing on a machine to dig his holes. If the machine takes a whole day, how am I going to do it with muscles alone?

Then I saw two bronzed and muscled men working an auger between them to dig holes for a fence. If it takes two of them, I don't stand a chance with this horrible 'soil'.
I measured it out today to get an idea what I will need to be shopping for, supply-wise, if I can resolve the hole-digging part of the puzzle. It is 7m north to south and as many at a right angle, east to west.

 But here is the fun part. Look at the magnetic end to the tape measure...it has picked up our native micro rocks full of iron! how magic! That's why our dirt is red, you know.

 Here is the garage. In the world of recent movers, this is a minor miracle. Mostly people move in and then after some months, they can get their car into the garage after all the boxes have been unpacked and stored. Yet here is my car, parked and at ease while the other half of the garage has become my work space to strip back a desk I am preparing for Erin.

 The desk is another of my 2nd hand bargains. $20 plus some elbow grease and paint stripper.:)
Keeps me out of mischief and fills that spot in my soul that is forever needing to be making something :)

2 comments:

  1. Your background photo on the blog and the red clay reference...seems very similar to the landscape about 300 meters lower in elevation than where I live http://www.californiaherps.com/lizards//habitats/yubahabitat605.jpg

    That's a wet season photo so things are green, the other six months it is 'golden' California....or burnt out and brown depending on your outlook.

    The red clay and rock is also a problem here......and drainage for when the heavy rain comes, when it does come, is always a consideration in a home site. That clay is impervious to moisture when it gets baked in the dry season. Soil for gardening has to be trucked in or built up over the years with a lot of composting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhhu... very like! In fact when I had my 4 days in Annaheim, I was struck by how like it was. I think I would like to go to Vermont in the US to experience something wet and green!

    ReplyDelete