Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Long, Long Weekend

Canberra gets an extra long weekend. "Family and Community Day". I tacked an extra day onto it and had a long, long weekend.

My project for the weekend was to decide and commence on a path for the back yard. At Easter time I had done some path building and blogged about how I thought I would finish off the back yard by adding some lawn.

Over winter however, the dog has worn such deep, unlovely tracks into the lawn on the top half of the garden, I have no appetite to watch him do similar in the bottom half of the yard.

There is also the issue of the slope and potential run-off cutting tracks into whatever path I lay.

So I have been trying to decide to put steps or not, and how to mark the boundary of the path and what material to use.

Also the dog impact on the pebble and paver path has not been good either. He rampages up and down the path scattering rocks, bark chip and making it look a frightful mess.


The circles show where there are plants... not to aid the dog to discover and eat them, but might as well have been for that purpose... In the foreground is the beginnings of the scatter mentioned above.
As a result, I decided to pull up some of my Easter work and rethink.
And think....
and think...

I put in my tax return a few weeks ago and have received my refund so I am cashed up and ready to try again.

I have decided to try long gradual steps. The first two will be three meters apart and then the last one, just short of the corner of the house.

That was the plan.

So yesterday, having procrastinated on decision making for 2.5 days of my 4 day break, I ran in at 10 minutes before closing and ordered the timber.

After sending my poppet off to sleep in the UK this morning, I looked outside and it was promising. The forecast was for chance of showers which usually means it will be dry. Usually. 

As the wood hadn't arrived, I started off by breaking the concrete that had held the pavers in place. I shifted the pebbles to around the fish bowl, hoping that it might slow down the digging that the dog has been concentrating on there. While doing that, I made another dog related discovery.

To keep it from floating, I had used plastic straps to attach a large rock to a water plant that had been growing in the fish bowl. It had grown really well over the year, but I had noticed that the top of it was gnawed down. Only one potential culprit. But worse! He had chewed through the strapping. Really? Did he have a snorkel on while he pulled that trick off?

Anyway, I finished up the preparations for today's planned activity and it started to rain. The wood hadn't arrived so it seemed like a very good time to go inside and get dinner made on the off-chance that later in the day I would be busy in the garden. Of course, as soon as I started, the timber arrived.

I helped the delivery chap unload. He asked me if i came from the bush. I think that is Canberra speak for "most city ladies don't help unload timber".

Anyway, it was cold and wet but I did make some progress. Not nearly as much as I had hoped, but my hand is aching badly now, so I am glad that time allowed me no more.

By the way, the lasagne was great. I included one single large mushroom to give a little extra depth of flavour. The kids pulled the pieces out. And the leaves of basil. sigh

No comments:

Post a Comment