Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Old Job

This week I moved across the road from the original job to a new one. I am doing an 'at level' transfer.
Peter, who originally plucked me from retail was moved across to be closer to the engine of things and when the move was confirmed as permanent, he asked if I would join him.

Tricky question. I like the subject matter of MAB. It is challenging. Multiculturalism is tricky: I believe in it - I believe it is right, necessary and unavoidable. I think only the most naive of people think that the world can go back to closed borders.

Maybe some older people can conjure up the 'white Australia Policy' and think it a good thing - but the young? Having grown up on the internet, talking globally every night? I can't imagine that you will be able to convince them that the whole world is not their oyster to live in.

But it is hard for those who want to keep their imaginary Australia, that's for sure! And I have read the most ugly letters from the public - full of hate and fear. Or are they the same thing? I almost wish we could pull back from Multiculturalism when I see how frightened some people are - but to what end? Close Australia's doors and watch the world grow up without us?

In fact it is quite the reverse. Australia is showing the world how to do it. Quite a few counties have put their hands up and  admitted that Multiculturalism had failed for them. But when you scratch the surface you find that what they have called multiculturalism has nothing to do with what we have here.

What we have here is a model for success. Not perfect. Not complete. Not without pockets of hypocrisy. But a working model.

It is challenging. The days of thinking I am a typical Ozzie are limited. (Well typical right up until I open my mouth.) If I am prepared to embrace Multiculturalism and I find that aspect disconcerting, how much worse then for some one who rejects Multiculturalism? How hard is it for insecure, frightened people to no longer be able to hide in the white skin uniform they have been wearing?

.....It's hard not to sound preachy. And my thoughts are not even original.
But it is just nice to acknowledge that I think my old area is doing something very important. And how many people get to say that?


No comments:

Post a Comment