Saturday, June 9, 2012

Obsessions and manias

What I wonder is this:
Am I odd?
Am I more odd than I think I am?
Do people think I am odd?

It's the manic way I seem to sail my life that makes me wonder this. Highs and lows. Swinging in through a single day when the morning is so bleak I can't imagine anything but a lonely old life and finish off feeling like I have conquered the world by the end of the day, having done little more than a regular office day of work.

And the undercurrent of an obsession which changes from time to time.

This is exactly how I am living my life. Sometimes I wonder if I am bipolar, but honestly I don't think I am that odd.

(At this point I go and read Beyond Blue's description of bipolar and have second thoughts)

Days, like Thursday, which swing between hopeless and euphoric are hard work. In between I can settle down and be normal. Does that make Thursday just a day of self centred indulgence?

So it is nearly 4am. My stomach is upset. It has been all week. And I didn't get up to consider whether I am crazy or not- that was a by product of wondering why I was getting up, when it is -3 outside.

 I got up because I am obsessing about Mimpi statues. Mimpi means dream. They are carved in Bali and I want very much!
Some examples:
This is my favourite- but she is $149 on her own

This is not a Mimpi statue, but it is $95, beautiful and maybe an acceptable compromise

These are $180 for the pair. I am very sorely tempted. It's June so my birthday is a way off yet :P
From what I can gather, the mimpi statues tend to be in pairs. I found the first pair in Magnet Mart's garden centre. They were poly resin and $99 each. I wondered if they could be cheaper on line and found only carved limestone ones. While I fell ever more deeply in love, I also saw that the one's at Magnet Mart were quite crude compared to the real thing.

At 30cm, they are half the height of the others, these two are probably less than half the price once delivery is figured
So as it stands:
I am strongly drawn to the pair in the third picture. They are 60cm tall which means they will provide a presence and not just be lost and become nick-nackery which will just bother me. (I do not like clutter).
The lady selling them does not like shipping them as she says the limestone invariably gets damaged in transit.
However!
She is coming to the snow in July and has offered to bring them that far!

I think I know where this will end!

I must google Obsession + compulsion + bipolar and see what it comes up with! I hope I don't sound too self obsessed but maybe that is what all my blogging is anyway!
:D

1 comment:

  1. LOL! No you don't have bilopar. Yo uare perfectly normal, obsessing about a project. Your eyes would glaze over if I spoke to you now - about my latest obsession with English Paper piecing. OMG. I'm insane.

    Anyway, just popped by the blog and your garden is looking fantastic! Can't believe how much hard work you guys have done.

    Cheers
    Michelle x

    ReplyDelete