Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Adventures in Sydney

This weekend I had to go to Sydney for the follow up appointment with the Costco Audiologist. I bought my hearing aids there (with a considerable saving) three weeks ago. I drove up and back in a day on my own because none of the kids were free to join me. This time though John and Kate made themselves available and the three of us set off yesterday morning.

We set off earlier than I had planned (my Saturday morning company fell asleep!) and made it to Sydney in such good time that we had time to go over to Spotlight before my appointment. At Spotlight the shelves were as disorganised and poorly stocked as the ones here at Queanbeyan. Maybe even more so. So rather than a better range, it was worse. I grabbed three sets of curtain poles that were on special but couldn't buy the rest as they simply didn't have them.

We headed back to the Costco carpark, deposited the poles in the car and then went in for the appointment. It was still 20 minutes before my appointment but I went to the desk and told Melinda I was available if she was ready. She was and so I went in and within 10 minutes I was back out again. Somewhat of a waste of time, but that did leave me with loads of Sydney time for fun!

As it was lunch, we ordered a pizza and drinks and enjoyed those on the veranda at Costco.


Next stop: Victoria's Basement. I hoped to find plain white fine china plates. No luck! But while John found Cripsy Creme donouts, (I gave him money for 2 and they gave him a free one) I bought front and back door mats!

Then it was time for the appointment I made with the ebay rug seller
http://www.auctiva.com/stores/viewstore2.aspx?id=489633&styleid=12&siteid=0
I had done a lot of browsing of the rugs offered on the net and locally. The prices offered by this chap were good but some rugs can be very very thin or nasty and so I was reluctant to commit. I contacted the seller and arranged to go and see the rugs.

Like a good mum, I warned the kids that being an ebay seller they would not be set up like a regular shop. In fact, they might be pulling rugs from under Grandma's bed.

As it turned out, it was a nice neighbourhood, not far from where I used to go for work visits with Hobbysew. And the lady was kind and helpful and the rugs lovely and thick. So we left there with two very nice rugs.

It was about 4pm by then and not time to do anything the kids had in mind to do, so they agreed to let me head back into the land of house-fun and then we would dedicate the next day to their trip to Paddy's market and Chinatown.

So back in Auburn I found a mall just for homemakers and saw a sign advertising curtains. Just what I needed! But once we made it to the store, it was closed. :(
The kids and I stood with hands cupped to the window to look in and the lady dashed up and opened the store again. $700 later I had all the curtains and rods I needed to finish the windows.

When we stopped at the electrical store that had a dryer I was interested in, John said to stop as there was no room left in the car. I offered him a bus ticket home......

All up, we will call it a success!


No comments:

Post a Comment