Saturday, September 3, 2011

And more bricks!

Yesterday I went round to see if the bricking had finished and really, it wasn't worth taking photos. There were more bricks but it looks pretty much the same.
This morning I dragged Wendy round show her my home and  as we walked through, I discovered there are now steps inside!
Hurrah!
They are handsome steps too!
I had figured when they weren't part of the original slab pouring that I was going to get chipboard steps that would be noisey, Instead, yesterday they bricked the risers and have placed heavy cement lids on top for a lovely little set of solid steps.
I am pleased
:)
The addition of walls is making the house darker. Wendy thought if we left the roof off it would stay lovely and bright....
When the builder maximises area of a house while minimising cost, the houses will tend towards square. As well as having deep rooms that get less light, it means they tend to be close to the boundaries of the block and the walls of the neighbours closer. This adds up to more gloom.
The lovely side effect of changing the shape of my house is that the family room is nicely set back and the outside living area is not hard up against the fence. There is some hope that some lovely winter sun is going to sneak in under the pergola.

So all up, while the progress is not as fast as I hoped, I like what it happening there.

Another nice thing is the snippets the other tradies are giving about Solid Construction. Pete Bonelli from TileFlair, had Solid build his house and the chap at 'About Kitchens' just added as a throw away comment that Solid Constructions build a good house. This is the sort of endorsement I like. Before the contracts are signed, people can say anything if they stand to gain by it. At this point, however I can expect that this is the truth as there is no escape for me now :)


No comments:

Post a Comment