Saturday, November 5, 2011

A rather frustrating day

My day started at 6am. I had so much to do.
I wanted to arrange the electricity and gas to start this week. When I first arranged the connection I wasn't expecting to move in this week.

I also need a letter box urgently because I have started organising a lot of things and have been using the new address. Like family payments, medicare, private health insurance, car insurance and that kind of boring administrative stuff.

Well my day stalled with the first 'appointment' falling through. And from then on it went to pot!

I did my usual run to drop Kate off and while she was at her lesson, I went to the sand and gravel yards in Mitchell. I have this plan to retain to the bits of bank (one at the front of the house and the other beside the deck) with informal boulders that I will plant things amongst. So I wanted to know the price of boulders.
Question: I need a few rocks to retains a small space, how much would they cost?
Answer: $110 a tonne.
Question: But how much would a rock "this" big weigh? (imagine arm waving). Apparently someone could weigh one for me.

Unfortunately, I guess because I am a girl and sand and gravel places are boy land, I was invisible. So I couldn't get anyone to weigh anything.
I left.

I visited my house with Kate and there was a man scampering around on the roof. He was putting in the insulation - R4. He was throwing broken tiles off the roof and I could see still more that he hadn't replaced. Ok, so this annoyed me a lot! There is a small stack of spares in case of breakage and I didn't wasn't terrifically pleased to see them being used up at such speed. I pointed out another broken one that he hadn't removed yet. He didn't acknowledge my pointing and speaking of the broken tile. I hope it is fixed when I go back.

Then began the carpet fiasco. Three weeks ago I sent an email to the carpet company to arrange laying. I didn't get a reply.

Then I rang the store. No sign of my order. What was my order number?
I don't know because I paid over the phone and wasn't given one.

After some time the order was found and I ended up speaking to another fellow.
He was cool and happily booked me in for next Thursday. So i have made all my plans based on that.

Today I returned a missed call from the sales man. No answer.

Then I rang the store. No sign of my order. What was my order number?
I don't know because I paid over the phone and wasn't given one.
(do you see a pattern?)

She had no idea why some one was trying to contact me and no sign of a booking.
I rang the main store number which had been given to me to  make the booking earlier that week. I asked if the booking I had made was recorded there. No, it wasn't.
So I lost my temper a little.
The fellow remained calm (kudos to him!) and made the booking (again). Then the girl from the original store rang back and told me there was a booking. (Well, yes, I know!)
Then the original salesman rang to say that there isn't enough carpet and the flooring layer is unable to lay.
He was at home and hadn't had conversations with either store so really- I have no idea what is going on.

It's the weak link you see.
Carpets have to go in before moving. I have arranged everything in order based on carpets. I have booked a van for the weekend, beginning Friday. I have take Friday off work to begin the move. I have the cement layer coming the next day.
blah blah blah

After having pretty much an easy ride through the building process I shouldn't complain but my head is bursting with all the things I am trying to manage.
Thank heavens I am not still trying to manage Hobbysew too!


No comments:

Post a Comment