Saturday, October 8, 2011

Another Long Weekend


Today I announced my intention to walk over to the house and see what has been happening behind the moat of mud.
Rusty heard his name, saw the leash, the runners on my feet and he knew he was going for a walk. The smile spread across his face and his ears stood high with expectation.

Then I asked the kids if anyone would like to come with me. John had just woken up and thought it was impossible to go from sleeping to walking with no time in between. I suggested to him that having slept until 3pm he certainly should be well rested and energised for a walk. To my surprise he started getting ready to come.

Kate wavered on the point for many minutes. Finally as we walked across the road, she came hopping out the front door with one shoe on and trying to put the other on while walking. Needless to say, the kind of shoe that you can put on that way is not suitable for walking but off we went anyway!
Almost as soon as we set off we all realised that it was much warmer than we had thought and had hardly made it down the street before we were hot and thirsty. Intrepid explorers not, but on we went.

I promised the kids a drink from my new tap and they fantasized about calling Bill on my mobile once we reached the house, to come and get us and return via the nearest shop selling refreshments.

Our first distraction from all this was the sighting of some spitfire caterpillars. Each of these bugs is about as long and thick as one of my fingers. I was the only one to approach them. Somehow they are more intimidating than spiders!
Quite a bundle of spitfires!
A pleasant surprise on arriving at the house was finding that unexcitable chap back working on the house. Being a long weekend I had not expected that at all. Dare I say it was exciting to see him there?
Anyway, John thought Rusty would not like the sound of the pneumatic nail gun so they stood outside with John expecting to see me reappear with a drink from inside. I don't think he quite has a grasp on where the building is up to today.
The engine room
Kate and I wandered the back end of the house while the chap was working away in my bedroom. He seemed to have prepared a lot of the trims for the frames and had his pneumatic hose thingies all through the house ready to move from one area to the next nailing as he goes. All the doors seem to be hung and plaster cut for the heater ducts. It was fun seeing this progress being made.

Kate makes her regular pilgrimage to the cupboard in her bedroom
Kate and I emerged and I explained to John that the water was in fact the tap on the side of the building. He and Kate made use of the facilities and then we headed home.

John and Rusty on the Oval
I picked grass for the canaries, Rusty exhausted himself trying to chase cars, Kate's feet hurt and John was his usual lovely John self.


Kate with shoes off her poor sore feet

1 comment:

  1. Catching up with the progress in the last week, I found the blog pics have a + option to get a larger size. Tweeted those caterpillars :)

    ReplyDelete