Thursday, October 13, 2011

Progress Report


Lots of news today!

My visit to the house revealed the tiling has commenced. My immediate question then was 'When will they need my huge tiles?'

Note: Tiles on ensuite floor
Also noticed the path to the clothes line was not going to make it to the clothes line. The boxing stops a bit more then a metre short of the end of the house and the clothes line is against the fence beyond the house.

Path to ...?
I went home and simultaneously logged into gmail and rang Cheryl at Solid Constructions.
Low and behold as Cheryl picks up the phone I see that she has emailed me. She needs the paint colours. Cripes. I thought I had decided but straight away I start to second guess myself. Nothing like a final decision to undo all my resolve.
I ask her about the tiles and she says I need to contact Pete the tiler.
I mentioned the path as well. Cheryl will follow it up for me. There has been a lot of to and fro on how much cement is included so I feel a degree of tension over this.

There may be a good reason. There often are that mere non-builder mortals like me don't know!

It turned out the base to the pergola had to be lowered to ensure that it sat below the pest barrier of the house. That strikes me as a very good reason.

Anyhow, I rang Pete-the-tiler and he says he needs them tomorrow morning which means I will have to leave home very early indeed to drop them off before work. I have had Bill help me load them into the car as they are way too heavy for me to lift on my own - no matter how stubborn I am about such things!

I happened to ask Pete why he needed the kitchen tiles so soon and he has told me that the kitchen is going in tomorrow!

Sigh
I know I should be saying woohoo....
But Cheryl says the painters can't get there for a fortnight and then it will take about 4 weeks to finish after that.
I guess it is one of those things there is no point getting upset over but when I signed up for this I was told August was the move in date. Then October. Then early November. And now it looks like early December.
It's just one of those things with building. Stuff happens and the chain gets broken and the delays snowball.

My promise to myself is no knickers in a knot over this! I am not going to build up a head of steam- I am going to enjoy this as much as possible!

P.S Anyone been watching the Renovators in channel 10? I have absolutely loved the series but what a horrible ending? All the hard work and the stunning presentation left unrecognised by the market. I suspect that serious shoppers do not buy houses at auction with TVs and celebrities. If it was me, I would be expecting the sale to go out of control and I wouldn't even bother.

I have a sneaking suspicion the houses were bought at a premium. Or perhaps it is just over capitalising.

When they put in all the soft furnishing, people won't pay you for them. I suspect in resale you won't necessarily even get the value back of better branded appliances. And when you install a $2000 bath tub, will you actually increase your resale by $2K? Or will the home buyer simply go... 'lovely bathroom'.
'Lovely bathroom' will sell the house when there is a decision to be made between two but will it sell it for $1900 more?

The contestants would surely have been counting their chickens well before they were hatched. I would expect they were all expecting the winner to take home several hundred thousand with each house yielding $50k or so profit. And yet the winner ended up lucky they didn't subtract the loss amounts from the small profits or he would have ended up with next to nothing.

I was very disappointed for them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment