Sunday, October 9, 2011

Staining Pains

Long Weekends are always handyman time
The dining room table I am taking with me is a nice size and extendable. However two of the chairs are cracked enough to make them quite dangerous, one's seat has sort of caved in and in 1982 Berber covers, they are very dated.

So I had a cunning plan! When Whitewood Warehouse closed down I bought 6 modern chairs. I am going to stain them to match the table and retire the old chairs.
Brilliant!
So I fetch a colour chart and hold it against the chair and it seems New Maple - 2 Coats is the way to go.
Matching the chair to the colour chart
At the same time as buying the chairs, I also bought a bed.
As I am not totally silly, I decided to stain the bed first to see how the colour match is.
And here is what the colour match is!
The 3 coat look is much closer to the predicted single coat but much more yellow.
Bad!
When I hold the paint chart to the bed it is simply not colouring up as the chart predicts. And the chart even specifies that it is to simulate being painted onto radiata pine, which is what I am using.
This is so frustrating.


The bed leg after 3 coats is nothing like the chair
 If the match is so bad, I think I might as well sell the chairs before I ruin them.

No comments:

Post a Comment