Saturday, October 29, 2011

A House is Built

The title of this blog came from a book I read 3 decades ago.
'A House is Built' was written by Marjorie Barnard and Flora Eldershaw.They wrote the book together under the name of M Barnard Eldershaw to win The Bulletin's literary prize in 1928.
Flora Eldershaw went to Mt Erin in Wagga- the same school as I did a bundle of decades later.
Both women went on to live single lives which it seems they they used to promote and pursue their interests in literature. Barnard seems to have used 'love lost' as  force to write and I happened to read the book of short stories which she published after the end of her relationship with Frank Dalby Davison.
They lived the kind of single lives of passion for causes and art and worked for positive changes politcally.
I can admire that sort of person, but I don't know that is the kind of single person I want to be. But maybe I could be?

No comments:

Post a Comment