Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Enjoying a holiday

Yesterday Rusty and I set off for a walk. I can not just walk aimlessly. If I don't have a destination, I end up heading home in about 10 minutes.
I was pooped still from my walk to the house the day before but I figured it was worth the exercise to do it again.
 So off we went!

We took a short cut, which wasn't as it turned out, by going up and over the rather high hill in the middle of Bonner. When we got over the crest, having enjoyed the view....
The View
we faced an unforeseen problem. There was a ring lock fence around the hill top reserve.
The whole suburb has spent a lot of the last year wrapped in these fences so Rusty and I had got it figured. I squeeze through the fence and he goes under.
I took the leash off him so he wouldn't get tangled and made my way to find a gap in the fence.
I couldn't find one but eventually the fence ran out and there was a high wall.
I climbed down the wall somewhat awkwardly and received a jolt as i hit the ground.
I then turned to lead Rusty to where there was a nice big gap under the fence.
As soon as my back was turned the crazy dog decided to try to jump off the wall. I am going to do a rough estimate and say the wall is probably 4 times his height. So there he was leaning back on his haunches when my scream rang through the neighbourhood...
The wall
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank God the dog has a basic level of obedience! He didn't jump.
He looked at me and made another step towards the brink, but with some reserve and my second 'no' stopped him immediately.
I tried to get him through the gap but he simply wouldn't do it so I ended up heaving 26kg of dog off the wall.

Dog Looks up at wall, unperturbed
The rest of the trip was uneventful.
We made it to the house and it was much as it was the day before. The chap had added some more of the door frames but none of the skirtings. 
I decided to check out the other Solid Constructions house down the road. My stomach sank with disappointment. Their house had tiles, a kitchen and it looked like the plastering had been completed. My house is now so far behind.


Oh well, nothing to be achieved by feeling down about it. The surprise was that even though today was a public holiday, he seems to have gone back to the house and completed architraves and skirtings. That makes me happy. 
And anyone else would say that going to check what had happened between a Sunday and a public holiday Monday is just plain mad!

Dog looks at fence and somehow feels affirmed in his distrust

1 comment: